Friday, February 12, 2016

Look

Have I mentioned that I love the books of the prophets?  Today's word is "look" and I picked a verse from my favorite book of the Bible.  It's Lamentations 5:1, which says "Remember, O LORD, what has befallen us; look and see our disgrace!" (ESV)


This verse is a reminder that God is the God who sees.  What's interesting is that this verse is inviting God to look upon our disgrace- the very thing we normally try to hide from God and others.  Yet if we are to repent and find healing from God, we have to acknowledge the damage that sin's done in our lives and we have to invite God into it.  It is in telling God how desolate and desperate Israel's situation is and begging for Him to see it that Jeremiah begs the Lord to restore Israel to Himself.  The more I realize the damage sin inflicts in my life, the more I seek God's restoration.


I'm also drawn closer to Christ as I imagine Him praying something similar on the cross.  He bore our shame.  Crucifixion was a disgracelful death and He died that death with a crowd looking at that disgrace.  Our disgrace.  But He took it upon Himself and I'm sure He called on God to look at what was happening to Him and to remember and restore His life.

No comments:

Post a Comment